Sight Word Drag Racing

One of the best ways to help your child learn and remember sight words is to play a sight word game. One day, as I watched my boys eagerly race two Matchbox cars at a time down their track, I was struck with an idea: With one simple twist, their playful competition would become a motivating sight word game!  Sight Word Drag Racing was born.

Into all things sight words?  Check out our best-selling Editable Sight Word Board Games in our shop!

Sight Word Games

Getting Ready

Before inviting Big Brother to play the sight word game, I gathered a few supplies:

• 8 small cars. {Cars with flat roofs stick to the labels best.}
    • 8 small labels.
    • A marker.
    • A race track. {I used my boys’ ramp but you could also make one out of cardboard.}
    • A printout of the Drag Racing Bracket available here.

I wrote one sight word in the middle of each label and stuck it onto the hood of a race car.  Note: When choosing the sight words to work on first, many teachers use the most common English words in print. The first 20 words on that list are: {a, I, it, the, and, in, of, to, he, is, that, was, look, you, said, for, up, go, we, play}.

Super fun, active way to teach children sight words. {Playdough to Plato}

Sight Word Drag Racing

I helped my son write one sight word on each line of the Drag Racing Bracket. The left hand column looked like this:

Super fun, active way to teach children sight words. {Playdough to Plato}

The two words in the blue box raced in the first round. In this example, the cars labeled {my} and {he} were assigned to Heat One. The two sight words in the green box raced next, and so on.

Then came the fun!! My son placed the cars that were racing in Round One at the top of the ramp. After counting down in my best announcer’s voice, he launched them down the track.

Sight Word Games: Sight Word Drag RacingSince the {my} car crossed the finish line first, it was the winner. I helped my son write it on the line next to the blue bracket.  We continued racing and writing until the {me} car sped its way to the winner’s circle.

Super fun, active way to teach children sight words. {Playdough to Plato}

Find More Sight Word Games

If you loved this sight word game, check out our 30 EDITABLE Sight Word Games. Kids and teachers love them!!

Our members get MORE!

Would you like 24/7 unlimited access to all of Playdough to Plato’s math and literacy centers, STEM challenges and digital games including hundreds of exclusive printables you can’t find anywhere else? Check out The Plato Pack!

• Malia

Thanks for sharing, Steph!!

1. nicole

what a super idea- thanks so much for sharing! am definitely pinning it so I can remember to use it!

2. Stacey

My son was sitting on my lap as I was reading this and he’s like, “Can we do that!!”

• Malia

Priceless excitement!! Thank you SO much for sharing his enthusiasm with me. You made my day.

3. Ruth at number 29

Amazing!!!! Trying this tomorrow! (He’s in bed now so can’t do it now…)

• Malia

Yay! I can’t wait to hear how it goes, Ruth. 🙂

4. Allison

What a fun way to reinforce sight words! I’m featuring this tomorrow at The Sunday Showcase.

• Malia

Thanks so much for the feature, Allison!

5. Tulip

Really great and simple game! I love the printable. Although I don’t have many cars, you could really use anything with wheels! Pinned. Thanks for sharing at Mom’s Library!

• Malia

Hooray! I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the post.

6. veeral Modi

Supurb idea !!!!

• Malia

Thanks Veeral! I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the Sight Word Drag Race. 🙂

7. Shelley

It is great entertainment to toys like transformers make toys from.
    Attach a string to the front and let a child
    pull it around.

8. Call of Duty Ghosts Prestige Hack

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

9. how to lose weight

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content.
    Please let me know. Thank you

Your email address will not be published.

This only happens twice a year! Join The Reading Roadmap now.

X