Activity for ages 4 to 8.
Building a snowman is always a winter highlight for kids! Bundle up that excitement with this colorful snowman craft so children can remember the snowy fun all year long.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
To get ready, I gathered supplies for each student:
- One 12″ x 12″ piece of turquoise (or blue) construction paper for the background sky
- One 4″ x 9″ piece of black construction paper for the hat
- One 3″ x 9″ piece of colored construction paper for the scarf
- Scrap painted paper or construction paper
- Paint brushes, round: large and small
- Paper plate to use as a stencil to create the head shape
- White and black tempera paint for snowman head
- Various colors of tempera paint for patterns on the scarf
- One 2″ x 4″ piece of orange painted paper or construction paper for the carrot nose
- Optional: Snowballs by Lois Ehlert (Amazon affiliate link)
Creating the Snowman Head
Then I gave each child one piece of turquoise construction paper for the background sky.
They traced a circle using the paper plate stencil and then filled it in with white tempera paint.
Children added white dots to the background to represent falling snow.
Adding the Details
Scarf. I had students create the scarf with one 3″ x 9″ piece of painted construction paper. To add color, children used a small round brush to paint patterns and then they cut the end of the
Hat. Next, children used a pencil to draw a square in the top left and right corners of the 4″ x 9″ piece of black construction paper. Each student cut out and recycled the two squares, making the classic hat shape. After gluing down the hat, we used construction paper to make a circular berry with pointed oval leaves to add a little pop of color.
Nose. Students cut a long triangle out of the orange construction paper, making it as long and as wide as they wished. They glued that onto the snowman’s round head.
Eyes and Mouth. Lastly, we painted small black dots for the eyes and mouth.
Isn’t he such a sweetie?!
More Art Inspiration
Ready to try your hand at another fun art project? Hop over and find all the instructions to make this gorgeous heart art project!