Name Songs for Kids

If you’re looking for a really quick way to help students learn to spell their name, you’re in the right spot! These simple name songs for kids make it surprisingly easy for them to learn the letters in their name… and their classmates’ names too!

Get your hands on a printable version of the songs when you become a VIP Plato Pack member. Just join, print, and sing!

Name Songs for Kids

There are tons of great ways to teach kids how to spell their names but I always love introducing activities by changing the lyrics to a popular tune and making a custom own name song.

You won’t believe how fast children learn their spelling!

Picking the Tune

The tune that works best for each child’s name really depends on the number of letters it has.

My oldest son has five letters in his name so we changed the words to the popular song “BINGO” and spelled his name instead.

The classic “Happy Birthday to You” tune is perfect for three letter names!

To help you get started, I recorded a video demonstrating tunes that work for names with three to nine letters.

Quickly find the version you need here:

• (0:26) 3 Letter Name Song
  • (1:06) 4 Letter Name Song
  • (1:47) 5 Letter Name Song
  • (3:02) 6 Letter Name Song
  • (3:39) 7 Letter Name Song
  • (4:12) 8 Letter Name Song
  • (5:00) 9 Letter Name Song
  • (6:03) Bonus Tips

Join The Plato Pack

For access to THOUSANDS of teaching tools (including a printable version of these name songs!) join our VIP teaching community, The Plato Pack!

Our members get MORE!

• Malia Hollowell

So smart, Jodie! Isn’t it amazing how music helps kids remember how to spell words?!

• Colleen

Very cute; thanks!

Another 6 letter tune: 3 blind mice, 3 blind mice.

1. Donna Williams

Any ideas for an 8 letter name

• Colleen

Just found this page, but I do have a song in mind:

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping? …. (Brother John…)

2. Jeanne Mulley

Can you give me any other 4 letter word songs…the name I’m working with is Jack..Thank you

3. Mac

My son 4 year old

4. MarilynB

I am like Donna Williams above. I need a n seven lettered song. My grandson’s name is Cameron

• Kimberleigh

Hello Marilyn,
      Thank you so much for reaching out, I am happy to help! The very last video on this page- is all about seven letter names, just click play for some awesome ideas.
      Hope this helps!
      Kimberleigh

5. Rahul

That’s a fun way to learn. Excellent resources!

• Kimberleigh

Thanks Rahul, enjoy!

6. Karen

Thank you so much this is a great idea to help children to spell their name. Children love to sing and learn to spell each other names.

• Kimberleigh

Thank you, Karen, for your kind words!
      I hope your children love singing the songs as much as we do.
      Kimberliegh

7. Joanita

Is there a song for 8 letter names?

• Malia Hollowell

Hi Joanita! Yes! I like to use the “Happy Birthday” tune for 8 letter names. I spell the name four times so it sounds like this:

(Sung to the Happy Birthday tune!)

B-R-I-T-T-A-N-Y
      B-R-I-T-T-A-N-Y
      B-R-I-T-T-A-N-Y
      B-R-I-T-T-A-N-Y

Just make sure to sing it really slowly so that every letter can be clearly heard. 🙂

8. Charlotte’s mum

Love them!
    Any chance of a 9 letter song?

• Erica M Cunningham

My daughter’s babe is Elizabeth, so I need a 9 letter song too lol

• Malia Hollowell

Hi Erica! “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” works really well for 9 letter names! The words would sound like this:

(Sung to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)

A-L-E-X-A-N-D-R-A spells Alex-andra.

Depending on the name, you may need to stretch out one of the sounds for two counts like I did in this example. 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Ultimate Guide to Teaching Kids How to Read - Playdough To Plato - […] start by making up silly jingles sung to the tune of popular […]