Sight Word Lists

The first 100 sight words make up about 50% of the text we read. Crazy, isn’t it?!

That’s why it’s so important for kids to memorize them! Children save so. much. time. sounding out sight words when they do.

Grab these handy sight word lists (below) to help students keep track of the words they know AND the words they still need to practice.

Dolch Sight Words

The Dolch list is a set of 220 words Dr. Edward William Dolch pulled together in 1948 after tallying the most frequently occurring words in children’s books published in the 1930s and 40s.

Many of those words (“said” for instance) cannot be sounded out easily so memorizing them can significantly increase children’s fluency and accuracy.

But, interestingly, Dolch intentionally left out nouns like “bed” and “mother” because he said they were too specific to the characters included in the books.

Fry Sight Words

In 1980, several decades later, Fry published a list of 300 must-know words.

Unlike the Dolch sight words list, this new option included ALL parts of speech – including nouns that Dolch left out of the mix.

Citing the The American Heritage Word Frequency Book (Carol, Davies, & Richmond, 1971), Fry explained that about half of the words written in English text were composed of the first 100 words on his list – either in their original form or with an ending like -ed, -er or -s.

Comparing the Lists

If you compare the top 100 sight words from both lists side-by-side, there are a total of 130 words.  Only 70 are the same.

Most of the differences in the two popular options can be explained by the different sources the men used to create their suggestions.

Dolch used children’s books from the 1930s and 40s while Fry used a research team’s tally of just over 1,000 texts written for third to ninth graders.

All of this got me thinking…

What if we combined BOTH Dolch and Fry’s suggestions into one ultimate list?! A power packed combo that would help kids master the most popular words in one spot.

And voila! The Ultimate Sight Word List was born.

It includes 140 words divided into seven stages.

Stage One works on the top 20 words from both the Dolch and Fry lists.

Stage Two works on the next 20 words and so on.

Free Sight Word Lists

To make it easy for you to keep track of the words students are working on (Dolch, Fry OR combo), I pulled together a batch of printable checklists.

You can copy them on white or add a pop of fun by printing on color.

You can even make two sets so kids can keep one copy at school and one at home!

Snag Your Sight Word Lists

Ready to snag your sight words lists?! Click the blue download button below and then hop over and join The Reading Roadmap so you can learn the most effective system for assessing, lesson planning and getting kids HUGE reading results.

Get bigger, faster teaching results and cut your planning time in half!

1. sarah

It doesn’t seem like the links to the sight word lists are working.

• Ashley

Hi Sarah,
      Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry you’re having trouble downloading. We never want that. Please check out our troubleshooting video HERE for help. You’ll also want to make sure you have the most recent version of Adobe Reader Other and that you’re allowing pop ups from our site. This particular freebie should be emailed to your inbox, so be sure to check your spam folder as well. If you still can’t get it to work, you can email me at hello@playdoughtoplato.com
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

2. Criselle

It doesn’t work when I click the button.

• Ashley

Hi Criselle,
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

3. Heather Hendricks

I tried everything that the FAQ page recommended and no luck, so I am emailing to request a link.

• Ashley

Just emailed you Heather.
      Let me know if you have any further questions.
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

4. Mae

Having trouble finding the sight word list. Please email me the list.

• Ashley

Hi Mae,
      Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry you’re having trouble downloading. We never want that. Please check out our troubleshooting video HERE for help. You’ll also want to make sure you have the most recent version of Adobe Reader Other and that you’re allowing pop ups from our site. This particular freebie is sent to your email, so be sure to check your spam folder as well. If you still can’t get it to work, you can email me at hello@playdoughtoplato.com
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

Unapprove | Reply | Quick Edit | Edit | History | Spam | Trash

5. jamie

I was unable to download it as well. Is there another link?

I greatly appreciate it.

• Ashley

Hi Jamie,
      I’m sorry the download isn’t working for you. We never want that. Please check to be sure you’ve enabled pop ups from our site. This particular freebie is sent to your email, so be sure to check your spam folder as well. If you still can’t get it to work, you can email me at hello@playdoughtoplato.com
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

6. Sadia Pervez

Im having trouble clicking the on the link to download just like everyone else. Tried all the troubleshooting and still not working. Do you mind pls emailing me the the download?
    Thank you!

• Ashley

Just emailed you, Sadia.
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

7. stacy

im having trouble downloading the sight words,

• Ashley

Hi Stacy,
      Please check to be sure you’ve enabled pop-ups from our site. Even if you’ve been able to download before, the site was recently updated and you may need to do so again. We also recommend using the Chrome browser. For instructions on how to enable pop ups in Chrome, you can check out THIS ARTICLE.
      You can also check out our troubleshooting video HERE for help. If you still can’t get it to work, you can email me at hello@playdoughtoplato.com and I will get it to you.
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

8. Holly

I like everyone else seem to be having a problem with downloading the list through the link. I saw a comment that it’s supposed to be emailed but I haven’t received an email with the lists, only a welcome to my blog email. And I’ve already checked my “junk” box, and it isn’t there either.

• Ashley

Just emailed you, Holly.
      Ashley // Happiness Ambassador

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Digraph and Blend Chart - Playdough To Plato - […] This digraph and blend chart is a helpful way for students to keep letter clusters straight once and for all.…
  2. Getting Started with Distance Learning During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Bilingual Balance - […] sight words (here’s a great resource for K-4 Spanish & English sight words) and read lots of books […]